First kill with Blaser R93 and first doe in 2013.

After Blaser zeroing session I was hoping to get a deer or two with a new rifle, but just when I finished shooting the wind picked up and it was soon raining heavily. I sat under a tree watching the road in front of me for a while, but did not see a thing and went back home wet…

Evening stalk

The following weekend I managed to go out Saturday afternoon. The weather was a bit better. It was a bit too windy to my liking and clod at 1C, but at least dry. It was a bit crunchy as most of the snow was gone, but the ground was still solid frozen in some places and wet in others. I had no “hunch” as where to go, so just went for a walk along the forestry track. I noticed a few fresh roe trails, but sitting near the road waiting for deer crossing is not really that exciting. It can be effective, but as I always carry my camera with me there is hardly time to turn it on and shoot before they disappear… Not exactly the footage I am looking for…

I got to the place where I got a doe and kid in December. I sat in the same place for a while but I got really cold and the wind was not favorable so I moved on. I slowly followed forestry boundary back towards the car. It felt like it might be another blank outing… πŸ™ I only saw sheep on the moor and some fresh tracks near the forestry, but no movement…
It was well after sunset when I got to the place where I could see for about 150m along the forestry edge. The wind was swirling a bit, but with a bit of luck I could see something. I quite like this place and shot a few does there in previous years. I stood near the fence in front of a small sitka tree so I was not skylined.
After a few minutes I could hear a branch cracked not far away. I was glad, but afraid whatever was coming might have been a bit too close. And as I expected a single roe appeared as by magic no more than 20m away. It immediately paused and looked at me. I could not move. The deer was watching me, I just kept still… Suddenly, I could hear a buzzing noise coming closer. It was a helicopter coming from Loch Lomond area somewhere towards Glasgow and it would be passing exactly above us. I thought the deer could have been watching the helicopter instead of me and slowly fetched the rifle. The deer bumped off when I was putting the rifle on the sticks, not sure whether it was me or the helicopter that spooked it… πŸ™„

I kept the rifle on the sticks when I spotted a white patch further in front of me. Yest, it was the doe, but there was a fallen tree between us and no shot available. I had to wait for it to move off. It was getting close to legal 1 hour after sunset limit when the doe moved off the branches and presented a shot. I aimed behind the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The deer disappeared and I was sure it dropped on the spot, but I could hear the deer running away. 😳 I was confused. I quickly reloaded on saw it pause maybe 100m away. All I could see was a white patch and a bit of neck and head above. I was sure it must have been my doe wounded so I carefully aimed at the neck and pulled the trigger…

She dropped on the spot. I gave her a few moments and went to the place I shot first time. No pins or paint, nothing… 😯 I went further on and there was a doe with a perfect neck shot. No other injuries… πŸ™„ I went back to the place where I shot first time and could not see any signs.

It was getting really late so I decided to come back in the morning just to make sure I did not do anything stupid. I gralloched the doe and hanged her on the tree.


First_blaser_r93_killI was really confused what happened in the evening. Going back to the car I convinced myself I must have shot at two deer and the first one dropped on the spot between the long grass and the second one was laying down there and stood up when I shot the first one?

I went back to the place I shot the first time and I could not find any evidence. I spent a while going back and forth and it looked like I missed the doe at 40m aiming at heart-lungs and neck shot the same deer at 100m. πŸ™„ I think because I was a bit higher and she was in the dip and I aimed a bit lower than middle of the body the bullet went under the deer.

I looked again and there was no sign of the first shot on the deer. The second shot was perfect and 100gr Remington Core Lokt bullet did a good job.



I have no complaints about the rifle so far. It is not too heavy and pleasure to handle. I had to reload quickly to shoot again and that was a good experience. I also cocked the rifle before the shot no problems and it was quite natural to reload after the shot.

A-tec Maxim moderator is also quite good. Maybe not as light as A-tec CMM-4 I also have but it does not upset the balance.

It was good to get the rifle blooded eventually. The doe was in good condition for this area at 12kg.


Liked it? Take a second to support Roe Stalker on Patreon!


  1. Hello.

    Really enjoying the videos – you have carved out a nice style setting you apart from the others.

    What are you filming with?



    1. Hi,

      Glad you like my videos. I try to show more from the stalk than just a shot, if it makes sense…
      I use quite old Canon HG10 camcorder, should upgrade really..

      Thanks for watching,

Leave a Reply